What Should You Expect During Dental Implant Placement?
Serving Patients in Vancouver WA
Initial Dental Implant Exam
Your first visit with our implant dentist Dr. Lewis will be a consultation to see if you are a good candidate for extractions and dental implants. Your dental implant consultation will involve the following:
- A 3D-scan of your jaws: Dr. Lewis will scan your mouth and perform a virtual extraction and implant surgery on his computer while you watch on a monitor. This helps him determine which areas of your mouth are best to have your implants placed.
- Photos of your teeth and jaws: Additional X-rays may be necessary if any of your natural teeth will stay.
- A full review of your medical/dental history: during this time, it is also important that you provide your Dr. Lewis with an accurate list of all the medications you are currently taking as you may need to stop some of them prior to surgery.
- Review the breakdown of dental implant cost
- Review and sign consent forms for your dental implant procedure
- Your dentist will hear any questions or concerns you may have
- You’ll schedule your dental implant surgery!
After you schedule your dental implant surgery, we’ll send you home with prescriptions for antibiotics, pain medication, and a sedative (Valium) if desired. If you take the sedative for the surgery it is illegal for you to drive so a ride will be required.
Is Everyone a Candidate for Dental Implants?
Simply put, no. If you are determined not to be a good candidate for dental implants we may refer you to an oral surgeon. This is usually because there is not enough bone for dental implant placement and there are bone-grafting procedures that may make it possible to have dental implants placed.
How Soon After Tooth Extraction Can You Receive an Implant?
Most patients have their extractions done and their implants placed at the same time. There are some circumstances that require implants to be placed 3-6 months following the extractions for ideal implant placement. Dr. Lewis will thoroughly review his recommendations for your individual case — which can widely vary from one patient to another.
Contact our Vancouver WA office today If you would like to schedule your dental implant consultation with Dr. Lewis. At Lewis & Implant Dentistry, we believe you should Get the Dazzling Smile You Deserve and we accept most major insurance providers!
How Can I Make My Dental Implants Heal Faster?
In the first two days following your dental implant surgery, you’ll want to have a liquid-only diet, then on the third day, you’ll want to incorporate soft foods like pancakes, applesauce, and mashed potatoes. In addition to keeping track of your diet you’ll want to:
- Use ice to help reduce swelling
- Brush very carefully
- Use medication for pain management
After your dental implant surgery at Lewis Family & Implant Dentistry in Vancouver WA, we’ll send you home with forms about aftercare and inform you about eating habits that need to be changed as you heal.