Will Dentures Feel Normal?Dentures will not feel normal in the beginning, especially if your a first-time denture wearer. Dentures are a great tooth replacement solution. They can boost your quality of life and improve your smile. But, as with any change, dentures are something many patients need time to get used to.
What to Expect with Your New DenturesWhen you first insert your dentures, you may experience minor irritation. This is completely normal and the pain should go away as you become accustomed to them. Below is a list of issues many first-time denture-wearers experience.
- Gum irritation
- Soreness of the mouth
- An increase in saliva
- The feeling that your dentures are too wide
- Slurred speech
How to Make Your Dentures Feel ‘Normal’While dentures are unpleasant in the beginning, you will eventually get used to them. Below are some things you can do to help make your dentures feel normal.
- Gradually increase your wear time: wear your dentures for a couple hours at a time, gradually increasing your wear time each day.
- Exercise your mouth: you can strengthen your cheek muscles by holding a smile on your face for at least 10 seconds at a time. Stronger cheeks will help your dentures wear more comfortably and make it easier for you to eat.
- Choose the right foods: eat softer foods in smaller portions and take your time eating, using both sides of your mouth. As you become more comfortable with your dentures, you can gradually incorporate harder foods. Avoid gum and other sticky foods and drink plenty of fluids.
- Practice talking: read or sing aloud to help you get used to talking with dentures in your mouth.